Tuesday, December 30, 2014

55 Thoughts for English Teachers

This is a good read and interesting:

All of a sudden, I have been teaching public school English for a decade. Why am I surprised? I never thought I would be a high school teacher. I never took education courses. Only now am I beginning to reconcile my different professional selves: teacher, adjunct professor, and writer.

For years I avoided writing about my full-time profession. From 7:20 to 2:21 each day, I teach literature and creative writing courses at a large public high school in New Jersey. The day stretches much longer than that, but those are my salaried hours. I love kids, and I love books, and I love writing.

I didn’t avoid writing about teaching because I was ashamed of my profession, though I am aware that save for a handful of other teacher-writers scattered around the country, the majority of my literary peers work in higher education or publishing. They are tenured professors and adjuncts, editors and freelancers. When people learn at a book release or reading that I actually teach high school, as in kids, they look confused. I don’t blame them.

Read more: http://www.themillions.com/2014/05/55-thoughts-for-english-teachers.html
I also came across with this article: http://teachingenglishinaforeignland.blogspot.com/2014/10/delta-module-1-breakdown.html

No comments:

Post a Comment